Sunday, April 10, 2011

Year 42...

By the time you read this I will officially be a day into year 42 of my life. I honestly can’t believe I’m this old.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think people in their 40’s are old- it’s just that I never actually I imagined myself as a 40 something. In my head there are many days I’m still 18. Luckily though, I no longer act like it.

Every year I go through a mini depression around the time of my birthday. I beat myself up over the things that I haven’t accomplished yet. Things I thought for sure I would have by now.

This year though, I only let myself have only one day of mental torture before I decided to look at all of the things, by the grace of God, that I had accomplished in my life, choosing to look at the blessings in my life and not my failures.

I have been blessed with incredible kids, family, and friends. I have two really cool jobs that I am extremely thank ful for. I have a home and a car to drive.

I may not be at my “ideal” weight or in the financial position I thought I would be at 42 and I have some educational goals left to attain but I am learning to be okay with the fact that these aren’t failures but only things I have yet to accomplish. And you know what? I have vowed to keep plugging away at achieving what I have set out to. I’m carrying that positive attitude forward into year 42 and I’m feeling like it’s going to be a good one.

I guess anytime you can say that you have celebrated another year of life (considering the alternative) it has to be good right?

No comments:

Post a Comment